Dark skin on the inner thighs can be experienced by anyone, regardless of skin tone. It occurs when the skin on the inner thigh produces an abundance of melanin, a pigment that gives skin its color. This is called hyper pigmentation. The discoloration of dark inner thighs may even stretch into the bikini or groin area.
There are a number of reasons why a person may experience a darkening of the skin on the inner thighs. Some of these reasons may include:
- chafing, which can occur during exercise or walking, and may cause the skin to become thin, itchy, and discolored
- hormonal imbalance, particularly among women during lactation, pregnancy, or menstruation, or among those with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- certain medications, like hormonal oral contraceptives or certain chemotherapy medications
- sun exposure
- dry skin
- friction from tight clothing
In some cases, home remedies may help lighten dark skin on your thighs.
1. Coconut oil and lemon juice
Lemons are packed with vitamin C, which may help treat hyper pigmentation. Coconut oil can serve as a moisturizer, and it may help keep your thighs soft and supple.
To make a coconut oil and lemon juice scrub:
- Combine a few tablespoons of coconut oil with the juice of half a lemon.
- Rub the mixture into the affected area and massage for 10 minutes or longer.
- Wash the area clean.
2. Sugar scrub
Sugar can help exfoliate the skin. Exfoliating the area may help if the dark skin is caused by a buildup of dead skin.
- Combine fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of sugar, and a tablespoon of honey.
- Gently scrub the mixture into the inner thighs.
- Rinse the area to remove the scrub.
3. Oatmeal yogurt scrub
Oatmeal can be used Trusted Source to treat eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions. It can also act as an exfoliant, and it may be gentler than sugar. Yogurt contains lactic acid, which may improve skin health. Yogurt may have other benefits-trusted Source for the skin when used topically or orally, but research is limited.
To create your own oatmeal scrub:
- Make a paste with equal parts oatmeal and plain yogurt.
- Apply the paste to the darkened area of skin, and gently scrub.
- Wash the paste off of your leg.
4. Baking soda and water paste
Baking soda may help lighten and exfoliate your skin, but it should be used with caution. That’s because baking soda may be too harsh for your skin. It could irritate your skin and worsen any skin conditions.
If you want to try using a baking soda scrub:
- Make a paste of equal parts baking soda and water.
- Apply a thin layer to the inner thighs, like you would a face or body mask.
- Leave it on for at least 15 minutes, and then rinse off.
5. Aloe vera
Aloe vera gel or an aloe Vera-based product can soothe irritated, chafed skin. Aloe contains aloin, which shows potential Trusted Source as a skin lightener. Apply like a lotion, and allow the product to soak in to your skin. You don’t need to rinse it off after applying.
6. Potato rub
Rubbing potatoes on your skin is a folk remedy for dark spots on the skin. It’s believed that catecholase, an enzyme in potatoes, can lighten skin. To try this remedy:
- Slice a potato.
- Rub a potato slice over the affected area for 15 minutes or longer.
- Gently wash the area.